For starters, what is this new trend? It is a mere fad or is it worth try? HIIT is the common acronym for High Intensity Interval Training. It a technique that combines burst of intensive exercise with periods of mellow cardio. Though it may appear to be just another gimick, science proves otherwise.
- Increases metabolism- This technique results in EPOC, or as it more commonly referred to to as, the afterburn effect. The high intensity greatly depletes your muscles’ oxygen supply, so the body has to work harder to renew it. This subsequently leads to a higher RBM up to 48 hours after a workout.
- Time Efficient- the body is constantly in pursuit of homeostasis and high intensity workouts throws off the balance dramatically. Your body’s great fight to reach an equilibrium is what makes this such an effective calorie burning workout.
Now that you dying to reap the benefits of this up and coming workout. Here is how you do it.
You can use your favorite cardio machine or you can simply run.
- 5-min warm-up at a brisk pace
- Go for 1 minute at a challenging speed followed by 2 minutes at a moderate one (repeat 5 times)
- Finish off with 1 minute at a recovery pace.